The special effect of beet juice on the body is often underestimated. Even if the taste of beet is not everyone's cup of tea - the vegetable is at best an enrichment for health. In this article, we'll tell you why you should drink beet juice and how you can make this health-promoting drink yourself.
Beet - the miracle tuber
Beet is one of the most popular winter vegetable in German-speaking countries. On the outside, the tuber looks quite inconspicuous, but its inner values are quite something.
- Beet has vitamin Bwhich is important for the skin and nerves, among other things.
- The vegetable also contains vitamin A and an impressive amount of vitamin C.
- The tuber also offers trace elements such as magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, iodine, sodium, zinc and copper.
Beet can easily impress with its special active ingredients. In terms of taste, the tuber is not everyone's favorite - because the vegetable has a rather special, slightly earthy taste.
Why you should drink beet juice
But why is beet juice supposedly so healthy? We have the the main benefits of beet juice summarized for you:
- Lowers blood pressure: If you eat beet regularly, it is said to have a positive effect on blood pressure.
- Improves blood circulation: The nutrients contained in the tuber cause the blood vessels to dilate. This is why beet juice is so popular with many athletes. But you also benefit from well-circulated brain cells in everyday life.
- Supports blood formation: The high proportion of iron and B vitamins also supports blood formation.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease: Consuming beet juice can reduce the risk of heart disease. Regular consumption of the vegetable can therefore reduce the likelihood of a stroke or heart attack.
- Has an antioxidant effect: The power tuber is also said to have antioxidant effects and thus contribute to cell protection.
- Strengthens the immune system: Beet is also said to strengthen the immune system. With a bit of luck, you will be spared a cold.
- Supports skin, hair & nails: The nutrients in beet support the normal function of skin, hair and nails.
To benefit from the effects of beet, all you need to do is drink a glass of the power drink every day.
How to make beet juice yourself: A simple recipe
You can easily make beet juice yourself. Just make sure you wear an apron and disposable gloves when processing beet. The red stains are very stubborn - It is not for nothing that the tuber is still used today as a dye.
Ingredients for the juice
To disguise the slightly earthy taste of beet, you can make your juice spice it up with other fruits and vegetables. Apples, carrots and oranges make the the tuber's own flavor quickly disappear into the background.
- 300 g beet
- 1 apple
- 1 carrot
- 3 oranges
- 1 lime / lemon
- 1 small piece of ginger
The preparation is quite quick:
- Peel the beet, oranges and limes or lemons.
- Then place all the ingredients in a juicer.
- Juice the ingredients and enjoy immediately.
- Optional: The beet juice tastes even better when chilled with a few ice cubes.
The best way to store fresh beet juice
To absorb all the nutrients directly, you should consume the fresh beet juice immediately. If there are any leftovers, you can use the juice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. If you want to make sure that the juice does not lose its freshness and nutrients, you can also freeze the juice in an ice cube tray and defrost it as required.
It is even easier to freeze the finished and cold-pressed beet juice from LiveFresh - never heated and 100% natural. In it remain guaranteed to retain the most important nutrients. On our News&Juice blog you will also find other delicious recipes with beet such as the vegan beet pasta or the vegan beet couscous salad.
Beet juice side effects: You should be aware of this
Although beet juice has many health benefits, there are still some side effects. a few things to bear in mind.
Interactions with medication
Do you suffer from pre-existing conditions or are taking medication medication, you should avoid the regular consumption of beet with your doctor in advanceto rule out possible interactions. This applies in particular to blood pressure problems, as beet juice the effectiveness of medication such as blood thinners impair can.
Oxalic acid content
You should also avoid beet if you have problems with kidney stones, as the tubers contain oxalic acid. have a high oxalic acid content.
Discoloration of urine and stool
Drinking beet juice can lead to Urine and stool taking on a reddish color. However, this is harmless and quite normal.
Frequently asked questions about beet juice:
What are the benefits of beet juice?
Beet juice can help to improve your lower your blood pressureYour promote blood circulationthe reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks and contributes to the normal function of skin, hair and nails. The vegetable is also said to have an antioxidant effect and strengthen the immune system. All in all beet is a real power tuber.
How often should you drink beet juice?
Just one glass of beet juice a day provides our body with valuable nutrients, vitamins and minerals. The vegetable not only lowers blood pressure, but also helps you stay fit. However, you should avoid the power drink if you suffer from pre-existing conditions or have to take medication regularly. In this case, frequent consumption of beet juice should be discussed with a doctor beforehand.
How healthy is beet juice?
Beet juice is considered extremely healthyas it is rich in valuable nutrients. Among other things, beet juice contains Vitamin C, iron, folic acid and antioxidants. These nutrients can strengthen immune function, promote blood formation and reduce inflammation. The nitrates they contain are also said to be able to help reduce the lower blood pressure and the improve blood circulation. For this reason, beet is often referred to as a sports vegetable.
Does beet juice have side effects?
Beet juice is generally safe and healthyif it is in moderate amounts is consumed. However, some people may experience side effects if they consume too much. If you drink too much of the delicious juice, your urine may turn reddish in color. However, this is harmless. It becomes more critical if you regularly take medication or suffer from a pre-existing conditionbecause beet can impair the effectiveness of some medicines and has a very high oxalic acid content. In this case, be sure to consult a doctor beforehand.